Contact

Contact me by email: mbrummermann@comcast.net or telephone 520-682-2837

'In any land what is there more glorious than sunlight! Even here in the desert where it falls fierce and hot like a rain of meteors, it is the one supreme beauty to which all things pay allegiance ... The chief glory of the desert is its broad blaze of omnipresent light.'
-John Van Dyke

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A simple design that received much attention

Cranes often retire for the night to swampy, flooded areas where they are save from predators. So at dusk and dawn bird watchers are treated to silhouettes of the graceful birds against the pinks and oranges of the rising or setting sun above the mirror calm water. Photographers know where they can expect the best light and line up early, often when it's icy cold.


I used one of these photographs for reference. But I regrouped the birds and tried to achieve depth by pushing one group into the back ground. I also gave the background the deeper, warmer colors that I remembered but that the camera did not capture.  Mostly I payed attention to the rhythm of graceful curves of necks and cascading feathers.

Cranes III 'Waking up' Watercolor, matted !6 in by 20 in  $395.
The resulting painting was quite simple, but it got amazing responses on Facebook, from both my birding community and my watercolor network.  Sometimes less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment